Saturday, April 19, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 8 - 5AM

Today was the first 5AM awake day since the last day at work. This was for fun as I got up for an early morning backpacking training session in the city at Mount Davidson. There is definitely something to getting up before the sun and being fully sweaty when the heat of the sun strikes your body. Whether I rise at the normal 5AM time or sleep in until I need to get up is another one of those discipline things that I am wrestling with. If I keep the 5AM regiment, I get lots done in the AM before Patti rises. But it also demands that I go to bed earlier. You don't really miss that much more by going to bed at 9pm but that extra hour to 10pm kind of feels like you are staying up past your bedtime....which is nice. I must admit that an extra hour to 90 minutes of sleep in the AM is nice too. Regardless, in this state, I have no excuse for not getting eight hours of sleep a night. If that is the "healthy" way then that is what I should do. If for nothing else, eight hours of rest is a good thing to make one feel more whole and complete. You do have to wonder why we cram so much into our day that we sacrifice our sleep that we are actually hurting the same productivity that we are searching for in the first place. So, whether I rise or go to bed earlier or later, that eight hours should be thought of as a privilege to obtain.

No comments: