Tuesday, April 15, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 6 - Routine...What Routine?

Monday AM for me starts on Sunday nights. Always has. not only mentally, but also just taking some time on Sunday night to sit down, look at my calendar, scope the week, think about what is important coming up, update the to-do list, etc. I did that this last Sunday night as always. The week is full. There is travel with Patti to Rhode Island on the back half and Monday and Tuesday were jammed packed days of meetings, etc. So, Monday AM should have been just like any other Monday AM...just fall into the routine. What was different was that my first set of meetings, in the city, didn't start until 12:30pm so the morning was mine. On Sunday night I thought I would manage Monday just like any other Monday. Get up early, do my devotional time, my running, etc. and be ready to hit email, etc. at the same time that I used to leave for the office (6:50AM). So, what happened that i didn't get up at 5:00AM but that snoozed to 6AM and by the time I finished everything else, it was 9:30AM, not 6:50AM....? Granted, I read the NY Times versus glance at it like in the past. I spent more time on my devotional time than hurrying through a few Bible chapters and not being able to remember what I read the next hour. I played with Louis, our french bulldog puppy, because he was up (which he never was in the past) and who can deny a puppy when they climb up in your lap? I wrote in my blog. And, when it came time for my run...I lengthened it a bit, because I was feeling good. Doesn't that all sound serene? The only downside was that I was out of my routine and because of that I felt "guilty". Weird huh? No one can tell me that we are not a product of our conditioning. When I was working I always felt guilty if I wasn't in the office by 7:30AM. I was the boss, no one was there (other than a few other early birds like me) but if I wasn't settled in and ready to go at 7:30AM, I felt like I was wasting my day. And, then I wonder why the blood pressure has crept up on me over the years. So, I guess I am a recovering "routine-aholic". I will revisit this topic in days to come to see if being free-form is any better...what time is it now? Darn, I'm behind already!

No comments: