Thursday, April 10, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 3 - Ringing

One thing I did upon my change, which was a mistake I will have to live with, was to direct all my calls to my cell phone. When I updated my contacts, which is about 3800 people, I gave them all my cell phone number as my point of contact going forward. I think I have made a mistake. On Wednesday my cell phone rang somewhere around 40 times. And like clockwork most of those calls came in while I was on the phone with someone else. I also got three in the night while I was on east coast time. Not unusual for that to happen other than I now get on my cell phone the calls that people would normally leave on your office phone voicemail at night when they really don't want to talk to you. I also can’t tell for people who I don’t have their numbers in my contact list, who is who, so I end up taking all the calls. That is a bad thing. I’ve picked up calls from a reporter at the NY Times (which might have been better to not pick up), headhunters who I don’t really need to talk to right now and could better be managed over email, etc. It’s not that I don’t like talking to people, in fact, it is just the opposite when you have no outward calls to make, but when you set it up like I have, the phone returns to being very arrogant, interrupting at the worst of times. Where’s the two-line cell phone? One line for personal, one line for business…with different rings for each? Someone get working on that. In the meantime, I gotta get back to my voice mail and see who all those calls were from last night. :)

No comments: