Monday, June 23, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 55 - Wiped

This past weekend I gave the messages at our church; Cornerstone in San Francisco. Here is the link to the message if you are interested: http://www.cornerstone-sf.org/tv/messages

It takes me months to prepare and ready myself for when I do this. Unlike a business presentation where you know that most of the people are not that interested in what you have to say and they are probably there because their boss told them they have to attend, when someone goes to church they go for a reason whether it be to worship, learn, or search for some answers. So, because of this I take these moments very seriously. What I have found is that after four services (25 minutes or so of speaking at each) that spans Saturday night through three services on Sunday, that it's pretty hard to have much gas in the tank after that. So, this Monday, day 55 for me, was a recuperating day, which it is interesting that we don't give ourselves in the traditional work world. I think back on those crescendo days whether they be the all important Board Meeting, the day of investor/analyst sessions, the funding pitches, the week of delivering performance reviews (to which you always end up leaving the hard ones to the end so the last day is a killer), whatever the moment/day when you give it your all, what usually happens the next day? You feel wiped and you aren't really good for much at work or home. But, we tend to try and ignore this and push through and that doesn't do much help either. It's kind of like trying to read that difficult book before you go to bed...reading the same paragraph three times isn't all that productive. So, what we should do is just be honest and drop the machismo and call it like it is; take a breather, love a clear calendar day, recharge and just admit that we are just plain "wiped". I did today and Tuesday I was better for it.

No comments: