Tuesday, June 10, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 46 - Midday Beauty

We toil in our offices, we grab lunch from the cafeteria or vending machine and take it back it to our desks, we hunker down in closed conference rooms with presentations running all day and when we come home we hear, "what a beautiful day it was". We give a bewildered look and shrug our shoulders and say, "yeah, I guess it was...what I saw of it". The truth is we didn't have a clue if it was hot or cold outside on many a day. The weather was what it was on the way to work and the way home and not much more than that. I don't know if this is how it is for you, but for me, it was pretty much that way for most of my career. I would go weeks and months before I would step outside within the regular business hours. And to what detriment? At the time, it didn't seem like much, because what was a pretty day missed, especially in Northern California where every day is the same from April to November? But in reality, a missed beautiful day is a missed opportunity to enjoy a gift of life. I've taken now to being sure that I am outside as much as I can be these days and what I am finding is that the middle of the day is more often than not, just downright gorgeous. And with a run or a walk or just eating lunch outside and taking in the fresh air, there is a rejuvenation that takes place that makes the rest of the day go better and forecasts an optimistic look for tomorrow. The world looks sharper and more full in the middle of the day. Now that my eyes are open, I can't see ever going back to missing out on the midday beauty.

No comments: