Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Power of Availability, Part 2

Earlier this week was the first time I had been in NYC since they added CitiBikes.  I must say, I was amazed by the number of riders I saw using the bikes. But, I was even more amazed by the people I saw riding them.  Men, women, older, younger, dressed for work, dressed for hanging out, dressed for going out at night; all kinds of people using the bikes for what they needed to get from one place to another.

Before CitiBikes, they would have been in a cab, on the subway, or walking.  But, with a little availability of another form or transportation where they didn't need to buy, maintain, store, lock, or worry about their own bike, they were using a bike to get around Manhattan.  And, they were paying for it. 

What can we learn from this? 

What I see is that availability of everyday products and services, that when made accessible, that we will pay for the temporary use and fulfill a need.  Provide a bike.  How simple and to think how long it took us to get here.

(For a further faith based application of this post you can visit: http://purposedworking.blogspot.com/2013/08/day-1195-availability-part-2.html)

No comments: