Friday, August 8, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 88 - Made in China

Okay...it's day 88...on 8/08/08...so how could today not be about the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics? First of all, if you didn't watch the entire opening ceremony, then find someone who has a DVR and invite yourself over for four hours. For me, events like the Opening Ceremonies are a must see. I figure that over a lifetime of watching these and comparing them to one another that you not only get to experience a significant event, but you also become a small part of that history yourself. This must go back to my parents waking me in the middle of the night to watch Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. So, I don't miss these kinds of things and I usually like to make a party or something special of them. Tonight, we (along with the Newtons and Sue's sister's family) ate Chinese food for dinner, dressed in our red, white and blue and sat down to watch the ceremony. I also have learned over the years that not everyone is "in to" these kinds of things like me so I usually get a little frustrated over everyone talking and going about their own business, etc.. So, I did like I usually do and go home (in this case go next door) to watch the rest of it on my own. And, wow was I glad I did. As Bob Costas said late in the night, "just retire the opening ceremony trophy". What I was most impressed with in the ceremony was the power of the people and the masses that they demonstrated. At one time during the opening drumming event, there was a feeling that was like when we were kids watching Russia and China exhibit their military strength on May Day marching through Red Square or Tienanmen Square. The might of the people, the power of the masses, the ability to marshall and synchronize thousands of people at one time, were all demonstrations to me why "Made in China" has gotten to be the three most household words in America. I was impressed. I was a little frightened. But more than anything I was a little sad. There was a time when our country could not be outshined. Tonight's events and what I believe these games will show (from the pomp and circumstance, the architecture, the competition) is that there is more being made in China than we realize. What is being made there now is the future. When you get to that DVR realize that you are not seeing science fiction, you are seeing the future realized right in front of your eyes; the next 100 years, will be made in China.

No comments: