Wednesday, May 7, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 21 - Objectivity Mirror

Today a challenge was thrown out to me by an acquaintance who is becoming a friend. I have a number of people who I feel aligned to in one way or another who I meet with regularly once a month. I call it scheduled collaboration. It's a term that Hank Stringer and I coined back in the early 2000’s when we were working on our book together. Well, today, during one of these scheduled collaborations, my friend challenged me by asking, “are you looking at your skills sets like you look at others and use the same criteria to help yourself figure out what you should do as what you tell others to do?” What a great question and great challenge, because the fact of the matter is that it so much harder to look at yourself objectively than it is to look at others. Something about, “don’t worry about the splinter in another’s eye when you have that log in yours”? I am sitting with this challenge and need to find a way to look within the objectivity mirror to find an honest answer for myself. Why is that so hard?

No comments: