Thursday, May 8, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 24 - Outside In

What has been very interesting to me has been the extra attention I am getting because I am now on the outside looking in. The question I have been trying to answer is what is the definition of "outside" vs. "in". It appears that because I am not actively pursuing other opportunities that it gives me an "outsider status" that brings with it unique credibility. What I find fascinating about this is that I don't see my perspective or vantage point any differently than before. But, what happens is that others see you as totally unbiased and objective. Objectivity is potentially very valuable for those who evaluate investments or depend on their own instincts/knowledge to make decisions. It will be interesting to see if when I start to commit to ventures if that objective credbility falls off. What I do like, while I have it, is the ability to evaluate and opine on lots of subjects and business opportunities. What I also enjoy is that people are reaching out to talk about themselves, their careers and get advice. Helping remains a part of the fun of this outside looking in period.

No comments: