Tuesday, July 29, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 80 - Become v. Do

As part of the journey I am on, I have been diving deeper into the advancement of my spiritual life. I felt that going into this "dormant" period that this was an awesome opportunity to spend more time reading my Bible, praying and studying. As part of my study time I picked up the book; Experiencing God by Blackaby. It's a daily workbook format that takes you through a set of learnings that open your eyes to how you are living and how to find the will of God in your life. The lesson unit I am in now has to do with how do you know when God might be speaking to you and today there was a profound statement that I read that I think applies to lots of things in our lives. The statement was: "God cares about what you become, not what you do". As I meditated and contemplated that thought, it struck me that this truth carries over into all facets of our lives, including our work life. As I refelct on the successes or failures in my work, the successes were really rooted in how things got done and what we as a team or I as an individual became from the experience, not in just what got done. In fact, when only focused on what could get done, typically what happened was that the process got messed up and the "how" got forgotten and there were negative ramifications. As I spend this time that I have, working towards what I can become as a fulfilled and whole human being it is true that this is far more important than what it is that I "do". This seems an important lesson for all of us that we must daily remember for what we "become" is built on a series of events, responses and actions that we take....daily. And like anything that is built over time, each and every step along the way is just as important as the overall result. Such are the lives we live and what can or won't become.

No comments: