Monday, July 21, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 74 - Empty House

After the Murabitos left this morning we had the house to just the three of us (Patti, Louie and me) for the first time in a couple of weeks. How quiet and lonely it quickly felt. We have come here for some rest and quiet and found that we have been setting up the house or entertaining non-stop. And then when it comes to a halt it is a mini look at the bigger picture of my 100 Business Days Out. What I am learning about myself (among many other things) is that I am just wired for activity. It's in my DNA to be setting up the next thing and then getting it going and then experiencing it and then on to the next thing. And so while I am not doing it in the same way as the bigger working model, I am going about the summer in similar fashion and getting the same lost feeling in the slow and downtimes. That is the challenge to overcome I believe. How is it that I (and maybe all the work-aholics) can find it okay within ourselves when the music stops? We really don't have to go scramble for a chair. It's okay to be still and silent until the music starts back up again. And even better in those times that we find the needed rest and recharging. But, who I am to call the kettle black? If one can't get used to the stillness of an empty house, then how can I truly accept the peace that comes with it? It's just hard to let go. Really hard.

No comments: