Tuesday, July 1, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 61 - What are Friends For?

Last night I got an email and call from a friend who needed my help and he kind of needed it "now". He was in a bind and needed me to help him on putting together a presentation on stuff I knew a lot about. It was not that he couldn't do it himself but he knew that I could whip it together in a way that would be just what the doctor ordered. But, here I am trying to get away from it all...trying to go into downtime mode...but it's for a friend who is in need. So, what did I do? I did what friends are supposed to do. I balanced it all out. After dinner and all the socializing was done, I snuck away, put on my thinking cap, fired up the laptop and viola, by 1AM I had it done and shot off to him over email. This morning at 6:30AM we reviewed it online and over the phone and as my buddy said, "you nailed it". After I got off the phone, I smiled a tired smile to myself because what we do for friends is that we make ourselves available to utilize our talents and strengths when they need them from us. And in return, they should make themselves available back. And if that all works out the way it is supposed to work out, the world goes around correctly. And yes, we might lose a few hours sleep here and there and we get taken away from our agenda and plans, but at the end of the day, that is what friends are for...aren't they?

No comments: