Friday, July 25, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 78 - One Way Ticket?

Today I met a neighbor here in Quonnie. Great guy who I would say is in his late 50's maybe early 60's. Looks physically like he could be in his early 50's. As I learned a little bit about him, I found out that he retired from being a CEO in 1995 and never looked back. He sits on a few private company boards and does some private equity work. He splits the year here in Rhode Island with his home in Florida. He asked me point blank, "what are your plans?". I was ready for it as I know I still don't have a good answer. But, as I listened to him talk about how he manages his life and interests, it did make me think about whether or not I really do need a round-trip ticket back into the work world or am I okay holding on to the one-way ticket out for awhile? My talk with another friend a week plus or so (I mentioned this in an earlier entry) was about how shocking the reentry will be when I return home. I have been thinking a lot about this as well. As I write this right now it's almost impossible to envision myself back at one job 60-70 hours a week. But, that will change, right? Everyone says you get bored and want to go back. But, I am far from bored. I find that I am very busy and haven't been able to read all the books I wanted, listen to all the CDs, write everything that is in my head, start the projects that I want to complete, or spend all the time with friends and family that needs to be spent. There's just not been enough time yet. I am rambling I know, but it's part of the process for sure to ramble through the thoughts in my head and try and sort out what is what and which way to go next. It's a jumbled up thing. But as I write right now, I get better and better each day with only holding this one-way ticket that I have now.

No comments: