Wednesday, January 28, 2009

United We Stand, Divided We...

Can we really be this divided? The stimulus bill passed the House this afternoon nearly split right down the aisle. Does this sound familiar? Has nothing changed? I watched yesterday as President Obama went to Capitol Hill to rally support for the bill and take time to meet with Republican leaders. Each Republican praised him for making the effort and trying to help bring the bill around to something they may not like, but that they could support. And then today they voted in a block and 100% of them voted "Nay". Let's see, tell me why the next time the President should leave the Oval Office to meet and discuss something before a vote? He did it because he told us in the campaign he would. He did it because maybe he is as tired as we are of the rest of the world seeing us divided on such critical issues. There is an argument that says, "well, there were some Democrats who also voted no, so it wasn't a pure partisan vote". That would be true, but the answer doesn't stop the real question in my mind; "why all the partisan posturing?" This division is far too ingrained in our politics. Even the visible fact that we split the seating in the House and Senate to have sides across an aisle bothers me. Why not seat them alphabetically, or by state so states can work together, or by tenure, or by age so they oldest (and hardest of hearing) can all sit up front? All of this posturing reminds me of that Gilligan's Island episode where the Skipper is trying to get Gilligan to do something and he crosses his arms in front of him and says three times, "You can't make me, you can't make me!, you can't make me!!!" I think I heard that same phrase today on C-Span coming from one side of the aisle. Elected officials, please, please, please remember the words of Aesop, "United we stand, divided we fall"!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I got a pit in my stomach when I saw vote today.

MTB said...

I agree Rusty...I fear that the R's in Congress have sadly misinterpreted the message of their election losses in Nov. I recently had a chance to listen to Lincoln Chafee (former moderate republican US Senator) speak about his days in the Senate (1999 - 2007). He was one of 5 moderates in the party and his story about how marginalized they were amazed me. It was nice to see 3 of them still fighting this week on the stimulus. If you get the chance, check out Chafee's recent book: Against the Tide. Very interesting view into Senate politics. - Mike Bousquet