Thursday, June 5, 2008

100 Business Days Out: Day 43 - Significant?

As you know, part of the journey for me is to understand if there is something "significant" I am supposed to do next with my working life. Today was an interesting set of things that I could throw in that bucket and mix around a bit. I met with a Solar Energy company about a Board seat, I spoke to a group of people at HP about Talent and the need for better HR professionals, and I met with a VC who told me how his job was changing to be more of a managing director like set of responsibilities and he wasn't sure he liked that or not. What made each of these feel "significant" was that each of these meetings were about change, the future and about improvement. Reflecting on each of them, I could see a significance in each. And when I boil them all down what I see is that when I am talking with others about how they can make their work like better, I find joy in that. When I can listen to their stories and see their passion in their work and I can add even a smidgen of assistance, I find that rewarding. The juxtaposition of the three today helped me see that there is significance in anything where you are helping others. How easy it is to overlook that simple concept.

No comments: